Installing 11gR2 on OEL 5.3

Oracle

These are notes and first impressions of the install process of 11gR2. All my comparisons are with the 10g installer, since I realized during this install that I haven’t ever tried the 11gR1 installer (I’ve set up 11gR1 databases and instances, but using templates and other stuff, not the installer). So bear in mind that some of the details I noted, might not be as new as I think.

The setting:

We have a Dell 2850 which I’ve recently reinstalled with a plain (64-bit) Oracle Enterprise Linux 5 update 3 (most recent one at this time). Since the availability of the new database release coincides with this currently idle database server, it’s a perfect time to see how the new release behaves.

This will be a generic install with no specific requirements from my side, and if everything works as expected, I’ll try to see how an import of a 10gR2 database into it works.

I haven’t prepared the OS in any way (except one, see later), since I also want to see how the install handles the prerequisite checks and rechecks (in previous releases I’ve often had to restart the installer for it to pick up certain changes).

The one thing that has been done to the OS after install is adding the Oracle Public Yum server repository to /etc/yum.repos.d/ in case I need any additional packages later (the public-yum-el5.repo file from http://public-yum.oracle.com/ now has a separate el5_u3_base entry).

Now on to running the installer.

It’s looks like a 9 step installer, with an overview of all the steps before any questions are asked. Nice touch. But then, it appears that it’s actually a 9 step installer only in certain combination of choices. The number of steps will change according to the choices made.

The starting steps are:

  1. Configure Security Updates (email/login for My Oracle Support)
  2. Installation Options (create databases, install software only, upgrade)
    2.5. System Class (desktop, server)
  3. Grid Options (single instance, RAC)
  4. Install Type (typical, advanced (different account passwords, char. sets, ASM and so on))
  5. Typical Installation (installation details like paths and database name)
  6. Prerequisite Checks
  7. Summary
  8. Install Product
  9. Finish

I chose the advanced installation at this time, which caused step 5 to split up into separate (and familiar) steps: language selection, database edition, installation location, oraInventory/os group, type of database, global name/sid, configuration (memory, character sets, opt out/in of new security settings, sample schemas), OEM Grid Control or not, file system or ASM storage, enabling backups, passwords, os groups)

And then comes the prerequisite checks. Which failed in three areas.

Here’s my missing dependencies, on top of a plain OEL 5.3 install:

  • Editing /etc/security/limits.conf; adding oracle hard nofile 65536
  • Editing kernel parameters in /etc/sysctl.conf, setting
    • kernel.sem = 250 32000 100 128
    • fs.file-max = 6815744
    • net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range = 9000 65500
    • net.core.rmem_default=262144
    • net.core.rmem_max=4194304
    • net.core.wmem_default=262144
    • net.core.wmem_max=1048576
    • fs.aio-max-nr=1048576
  • And the following packages were missing
    • libaio-devel
    • sysstat
    • unixODBC
    • unixODBC-devel

The missing packages were listed twice, for some reason. Perhaps once for the 32-bits and once for the 64-bits version.

But now the installer provides a tailored script to fix these thing right away, which I haven’t seen before, the runfixora.sh script. Unfortunately I went ahead and fixed these things manually before noticing the script, so I haven’t tried it yet. Looking at the code (in /tmp/CVU_11.2.0.1.0_oracle), it seems it would easily fix the limit and kernel settings, and it’s supposed to install the missing packages as well, by using YUM. But when I looked at the fixup.enable file, it only flagged the former to things to be fixed:

SET_SHELL_LIMITS=”true”
SET_KERNEL_PARAMETERS=”true”

So I have to assume some extra steps would have had to be taken for the software package download/install to work. Do any of you have experience with this?

Anyway, in my case, I simply installed the repositories as mentioned above, and the packages, like this:


cd /etc/yum.repos.d/
wget http://public-yum.oracle.com/public-yum-el5.repo
vi public-yum-el5.repo (to set enabled=1 for el5_u3_base)
yum list
yum install libaio-devel
yum install sysstat
yum install unixODBC
yum install unixODBC-devel

And that was more or less it. I just saved the response file for another day, and started the install, which finished in around 10 minutes.

One thing to note, is to make a copy of the emkey.ora file. I suppose (or I want to suppose) that most people backup their ORACLE_HOME directories properly, so for disk loss situations, you’d probably restore all files therein, but it does hurt to make the copy in case of accidental deletions.

After the install finished, there are the usual “run as root” scripts to execute.

Additionally, there are a few things to fix before it works, because of settings in the default OEL installation (which I believe Oracle should have been able to fix before this), but I’ll get back to these in another post in a few days (or if anyone asks in the meantime :)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s